Your Workers – Who are they?

Artboard 27While you are in care there will be a number of other adults to support you, and sometimes to support your family as well.



All care leavers aged 18 to 21 years will have a Personal Advisor – also known as a PA. Your PA will keep in touch with you and be responsible for reviewing and updating your Pathway Plan.

Your PA will keep in touch with you every eight weeks, but more if this is needed. You can always contact your PA in between these contacts if you need advice and support. 

Once you are 21 years of age you will only have a PA if you are assessed as needing a service (this includes support and/or funding) from us. Your PA will be able to offer support for employment, education and training, if you are assessed to need this, to enable you to access support after your 21st birthday up until your 25th birthday.


Asset 1

Your social worker is one of the people you will see while you’re in care.
A social worker is someone who will visit you to:

  • listen to what you want NOW and in the FUTURE
  • make sure you are being looked after properly where you are living
  • make sure they make the right plans for you NOW and in the FUTURE
  • make sure you feel OK and if there is anything wrong they will try to help you
  • support you through difficult times
  • help you get involved in activities

To find out more about your social worker and how to contact them click here.


Asset 2

When you are in care you may also see a support worker. This is someone who will work with your social worker to make sure everything is OK for you. You may see your support worker more than you see your social worker.

Your support worker will:

  • come and see  you where you are living
  • support you if you are having any difficulties or problems
  • let you talk to them about any issues you may have
  • take you to see your family and friends

Your support worker may try and  support you to understand why you are in care.

To find out more about your support worker and how to contact them click here.



An Independent Reviewing Officer is sometimes known as an IRO for short. An IRO is independent of Childrens Social Work Services. It is the IRO’s job to make sure that all the things that are agreed in your Care Plan are being done. They do this by holding regular REVIEW meetings with you and the people who care for you. Here is a handy guide to IRO’s.

You should know who your IRO is before your first Review but if you don’t know (or are not sure) you can:-


Asset 3

An Advocate is someone who does not work for social work services and is independent. They can talk for you at your Review and will only say what you want them to say, and only use your words.  An Advocate can also support you to talk for yourself if that is what you would prefer.nyas_logo

To get an Advocate you can:-

  • Ask your social worker, foster carer, IRO
  • Contact NYAS yourself on


Looked After Nurse

To make sure you are healthy whilst you are in care, every year you will have a Health Assessment. You will see a doctor or a nurse who will make sure you are fit and healthy.

There are two nurses and three doctors who work with children and young people in care. They will meet with you to think about your health and different things that might affect how you feel.

There may also be other times when you want to meet, or talk on the phone, in confidence; about a health issue or you may want a bit of advice. You can do this by contacting me or nurse Sally Scott direct  on my

  • mobile  07899 956 974
  • Email
  • Or Trudi on 0121 746 4413 who can contact any of the team you may wish to contact.
  • Sally’s mobile 07580 897 380



You may hear an Independent Visitor sometimes called an IV. This is someone who can take you out to do activities or other things you enjoy. They may also go to your meetings such your Reviews if you want them to.

Children in care usually have an IV if they

  • Have little or no contact with their family

And / Or

  • Are living a long distance from Solihull

If you want to find out more or want an IV speak to your social worker, IRO or foster carer.